Sunday, July 10, 2005

Just some stuff

Well, I've finally gotten a bit of good news. Seems that the Social Security Administration has decided to agree with the Veterans Administration on my status and has approved my disability status.

I started this "goat-rope" over two years ago and it had to actually go to a federal judge before they decided that they would go along with the VA. The VA decided, about three years ago, that I was "unemployable" due to my medical and mental condition. The mental may get better (at least, I hope it does!) but the medical will only get worse. When you have a disk that is disintegrating, it makes quite a lot of things difficult, if not downright impossible, to do. As I have said before, the drugs may make it tolerable, but they won't make the disk better or the pain/status go away. Just mask it, a bit, that's all.

It's weird, but this has made me both happy and sad. Happy in that they have finally determined that my condition is not all that great. Sad in that they have finally determined that my condition is not all that great. I don't enjoy this, by any stretch of the imagination. Truth is that I would much rather be working and supporting my family than getting "assistance". I have tried, honestly I have. But when medical and mental problems become so great that hard work and mental alertness take a back seat to pain and depression, holding a job is next to impossible. Oh, I try to do a bit of computer consulting, but I most definitely pick and choose what I do and what I don't. I don't want to make a commitment and not be able to carry it out. That is what really sucks, because I have ALWAYS taken "giving my word" as more binding than the most convoluted contract ever written.

Anyway, I'll take this the best that I can and toodle along as best I can. That's about all I can do, to be honest. And honesty is my "stock in trade".

No comments: